Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Tuesday Crew

I have had my job for just over 1 year now. There is a group of my co-workers, who tend to be in the same office on tuesdays, and over the years some came and went, and the hangers-on became a close group. Antics always ensue and big lunches are always had, and payed for by the company. Last week our contract was bought out by a rival company, and of course the company was left with few options, offer transfers or lay offs. Last week began round 1, 30 out of 60 got the boot. I got into the office around 8 this morning, and the mood was very, well out of the ordinary. It was like going to a Funeral. No more banter, dirty jokes, or completely inapropriate for work pranks. A few of us were asked to take some equipment to our company's other location in East Brunswick, NJ today, where we would all get together in a minivan and ride back to VA. While on my way to NJ, I got the word that it would be my last job here, and to expect a meeting in the morning regarding my "options." It wasnt until we stopped in Philadelphia for some cheesesteaks that I realised just what was to happen. These people whom I had avoided\ grown fond of, were all in a fine blance, I know many of them will be looking for new jobs in this wonderful economic climate, and I have no idea what will happen to me. I was a very somber drive from there. We tried to keep spirits high, joking and not getting too serious. I just couldnt help but feel a sort of sickness in my stomach. More than just knowing how hard it will be to find a job, worying how the bills will be paid, or am I going to have to move out of state, it was knowing that there would be no more tuesday crew! to add to all of this, knowing that you will lose the comradarie you have grown to love when you have a job you actually like, is probably the worst part of it.

1 comment:

Blade:22 said...

It is absolutely heartbreaking to lose something you have grown so accustomed to. When I was laid off I felt like the air had been sucked out of my lungs, and what is worse that it still sometimes feels like that, when I wake up at 8 in the morning freaking out cuz I'm late...but oh wait I'm not. And missing my super totes awes co-workers and even missing those of whome I completely disliked working with! I'm glad you got something else and in this economy we gotta grab whatever we can get - GO UPS!!! GO WERNER!!! thanks for taking us in!